Morton School, Hammond, Indiana 1957The light colored roof on the main building is the part that was added in 1952. The building to the far right is the elementary school that was under construction at the time this picture was taken. Photograph by: Morton High School 1957 Top Hat yearbook staff
"The new structure is 3 stories in height and is built around a court which is landscaped as a formal garden. On the ground floor are 12 classrooms, a band room, shop, kindergarten, 2 museums, girls' and boys' shower and locker rooms, lunchrooms, and kitchen. The first floor has 12 classrooms, administration offices, an auditorium seating 800, and a gymnasium with bleachers sating 600. On the second floor are a library, 6 classrooms, and rooms for domestic science, sewing, art, physiology, and general science. The boiler room, a separate 1-story building, encloses the court on one side. Construction is fireproof and the exterior walls are faced with pressed brick and trimmed with stone and marble. The project was completed in June 1937 at a construction cost of $543,702 and a project cost of $580,083."
(Short and Brown)
"The Oliver P. Morton School pictured above was located at 7040 Marshall Avenue in the Hessville area of Hammond, Indiana. It was constructed in 1936-37 with partial funding from the Depression era Public Works Administration and based upon a design by architects George Grant Elmslie and William S. Hutton. This school replaced the original Morton School, which was built at the same Marshall Avenue location in 1912 by the community of Hessville before it was annexed by the city of Hammond. When it opened in the fall of 1937 Morton School served almost 600 students in grades kindergarten through ten. For the eleventh and twelfth grades, students attended Hammond High School. The size of the building was increased with a three story addition to each wing in 1952, and the school expanded to a four year high school in 1953 with the first class graduating in June 1954. The building housed Oliver P. Morton High School until the class of 1967 graduated. At that time, a new Oliver P. Morton High School building opened at 169th Street and Grand Avenue and the building on Marshall Avenue housed Morton junior high/middle school until it was demolished in 1991. The two story building to the far right in the picture is the elementary school that was constructed in 1956-57 for grades K-6. The junior high students remained in the high school building. This old elementary school was demolished in 1992. A modern elementary school now occupies this Marshall Avenue site.
When the building opened in 1937 the principal was Mr. C.A. Spencer. Mr. Albert W. Clark became principal in 1942 and remained in that position until the summer of 1962. Mr. W. Winston Becker, who had been a teacher and administrator at Morton, succeeded Mr. Clark as principal. Mr. Becker continued as high school principal in the new building on Grand Avenue."
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
C.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown. "Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration." (1939). http://pages.suddenlink.net/morton1960/building.htm