"The Beverly Hills Post Office is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1933, the Post Office was constructed as a Work Projects Administration (WPA) project on the site of the former Pacific Electric Railway Station. Prominent local architect, Ralph C. Flewelling, in concert with Allison & Allison Architects, received the architectural commission for the Italian Renaissance Revival style which complemented the design of the adjacent City Hall…
The Post Office opened in 1934 and was dedicated in 1936 under the Franklin D. Roosevelt Administration. For decades following, the Beverly Hills Post Office took on even greater significance by becoming the cornerstone of the City and its social fabric, where prominent citizens of Beverly Hills were spotted daily."
The post office is in the process of being converted into the Beverly Hills Cultural Center, with a $15 million grant from the Annenberg Foundation.
"Annenbergs Give Grant For Arts Center In Beverly Hills". New York Times. June 29, 2004. http://www.annenbergfoundation.org/news/news_show.htm?doc_id=232394 Photos by Jordan McAlister at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/99491151@N00/4232929748/in/set-72157623104526336/